You can call 211. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You will find someone to speak to who can direct you to the services that you need.

The Orange County Department of Social Services has information available with regards to the requirements and criteria for social service benefits. Please click here to see what the criteria are for the programs you are looking for.

As of 3/22/2013, via the Orange County Department of Social Services website:

  • The Economic Independence Division provides various forms of financial assistance to families and individuals. They are subject to income and resource eligibility levels which must be satisfied by applicants and recipients in order to qualify for assistance. Participation in Welfare to Work Programs is also required for employable applicants and recipients.
  • Medicaid provides medical assistance for those families and individuals whose medical expenses exceed their income.
  • Food Stamp benefits supplement low income households in order to reduce hunger and malnutrition.
  • Temporary Assistance provides cash assistance to Orange County residents lacking income and resources to maintain a minimal standard of living.
  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) assists households with meeting the costs of home fuel and heating needs.
  • Program Integrity provides a forum for applicants and recipients of Social Service benefit programs to appeal Agency decisions based on N.Y. State Codes, Rules and Regulations. Administrative Reviews and Fair Hearings are conducted by this unit.
  • Employment activities for employable recipients are coordinated with the Orange County Employment and Training Administrationl.
  • Housing for eligible homeless applicants/recipients is provided.
  • My Benefits is a quick and easy way for people in New York State to find answers to questions about New York State's programs and services.

You can begin by calling 211 and explaining your situation. Someone will assess your situation and assist you with finding transportation.

There are agencies to assist you with chemical dependence. You can call 211 or contact the Middletown Addiction Crisis Center, which is a non-medical detox unit located in Middletown. Please call 845-343-1443 for information about this service.

There are two shelters available in Orange County. One shelter is located in Middletown and one is located in Newburgh. By calling 211, you will be directed to the necessary resources. You must first be assessed before you can be temporarily housed.